Saturday, February 6, 2010

Hoonah

If there was a heaven on this earth it would be called Hoonah. We live in a Plant Earth Episode. Hoonah is by far the most beautiful place I have ever been to. Its beyond explanation. We arrived in Hoonah at 11:30 Sunday morning and I was so nervous as we got closer and closer because its one thing to have a dream of moving to a remote location and living this far out adventurous life but the anxiety of the ferry crawling closer and closer to this piece of land poking up from the ocean floor all the while your whole life is right next to you and what is left over is down on the cargo deck and it kind of gives you this feeling of adrenaline/fear/anxiety/hope/excitement but all that comes out is “holy shit” and then we got here…… We have three and a half miles of roads needless to say we won’t be buying gas anytime soon. We live in our childhood dream treehouse. Seriously…. It has a ladder and everything. It’s a brand new cabin and it is so beautiful. But my favorite part by far is the porch. You wouldn’t believe the view if I told you and the picture I’m going to put up here won’t do it justice. Hoonah is very small and a lot of the houses remind me of something I’ve seen on the news after a natural disaster. The people here are so nice. I walked to the post office and people literally stop there cars and pull over to ask me who I am. Everybody knows that we are new to town and everybody knows everybody. There isn’t much on the island there is a Market and a Hardware store there is two restaurants a laundry mat and a post office and a little airport down by the boats. Although its small we really have been able to find everything we need. Aron has to go to Kodiak Island for training for a week and he leaves tomorrow. Needless to say I am not looking forward to being home alone. We really really like Hoonah so far and I think we will like it even more when we get into the swing of things and get all settled in.
Sorry its taken me so long to post there isn’t a lot of internet activity around here. Until next time……

























This is the view from our deck




This is the Marina down by Arons work















Hoonah Market and the one and only gas pump in town











our cabin






the view from our cabin




3 comments:

  1. Cool, cool. cool, can't wait to visit! We are so happy that you are happy! XO, Mel and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys!! Great reading about your Alaska adventure!! Looks like a dream come true, I'm definitely jealous about not having to buy gas :) Life here is setteling into its normal rythm, Erik is back to work and I am adjusting to being a stay-at-home mom. Good luck with everything, hopefully we'll be able to visit in the not so distant future!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kenzie, i'm so happy for you guys, and jealous, i'm sure if cody saw these pictures he'd be pretty jealous as well. good luck in your new home! its so cute and i love it!

    ReplyDelete